Authorities say the man arrested after a 30-hour manhunt in the shooting of ten people on a subway train in Brooklyn will appear in court for the first time on Thursday.

According to Breon Peace, US attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Frank James, 62, was charged in federal court with violating a law that prohibits terrorist and other violent attacks against mass transportation systems. He could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted, according to Peace.

According to US Attorney’s Office spokesperson John Marzulli, the timing of his court appearance will be confirmed Thursday morning.

James is expected to make an appearance two days after authorities say he boarded a N subway train, detonated two smoke grenades, and then opened fire on commuters during Tuesday morning rush hour, in one of the most violent subway attacks in the city’s history.

At least 29 people were injured in the shooting, which occurred as the train approached the 36th Street station in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park neighborhood. The injuries ranged from gunshot wounds to smoke inhalation. Five people were still in the hospital as of Wednesday evening.

The New York City Police Department initially designated James as a “person of interest,” but he was later declared a suspect after investigators discovered he purchased the gun left at the crime scene. Police released photos of him and launched a manhunt, which ended early Wednesday afternoon in Manhattan’s East Village when police apprehended him without incident.

According to a criminal complaint, the suspect, a heavyset Black man wearing an orange reflective jacket, yellow hard hat, and surgical mask, set off at least one smoke device in the train car before shooting people with a Glock pistol. The suspect was also said to be wearing a gas mask, according to the complaint.

According to NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig, the gunman fired at least 33 times, striking ten people.

None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening, according to officials. Hourari Benkada, 27, who was shot in the back of the knee, said he sat next to a man with a duffel bag who appeared to be wearing an MTA public transit vest on the last car of the N train. The man allegedly detonated a “smoke bomb,” prompting passengers to flee as the man opened fire.

The engulfing smoke caused panic and chaos, with passengers fleeing to the train’s far end and waiting for two minutes for the train to arrive at the next station.

Passengers bolted from the train car when it finally arrived at the 36th Street station, and smoke poured out of the open doors, according to videos of the scene. Others stumbled to the platform with bloody wounds and cried out for help.

According to the complaint, James purchased the handgun in Ohio in 2011, his bank cards had his name on them, and his U-Haul key was linked to a van he had rented a day earlier in Philadelphia.

Law enforcement also executed a search warrant at a Philadelphia apartment authorities believe James rented for 15 days beginning around March 28 and discovered “an empty magazine for a Glock handgun, a taser, a high-capacity rifle magazine, and a blue smoke canister,” according to the complaint.

Police found the U-Haul van near the Kings Highway subway station, which serves the N line. According to the complaint, surveillance video from hours before the shooting showed an individual leaving the U-Haul van wearing a yellow hard hat, orange working jacket, and carrying a backpack and rolling bag.

After the shooting, surveillance video captured some of James’ movements. According to the complaint, after allegedly opening fire on the train, James exited at the 36th Street station, boarded a R train across the platform, and exited at the 25th Street station stop.