Authorities said Wednesday that the 21-year-old man accused of opening fire at a suburban Chicago Fourth of July parade, killing seven people and injuring dozens more, plotted another attack in Madison, Wisconsin.
Following his escape from the parade, Robert “Bobby” Crimo III “was driving around, saw a celebration in Madison,” and “contemplated another attack,” authorities said at a news conference Wednesday.
According to authorities, he “didn’t do enough planning” and decided not to do it.
Crimo was apprehended Monday evening in Lake Forrest, Illinois, after returning from Wisconsin.
In the aftermath of Monday’s mass shooting in Highland Park, Illinois, Crimo has been charged with seven counts of first-degree murder. More charges are expected, according to Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart.
Crimo, who appeared in court via Zoom for the first time on Wednesday, showed no emotion as a prosecutor described the attack and read the names of the victims.
Prosecutors said Crimo confessed to the parade massacre on Monday morning.
Crimo is accused of taking his legally purchased high-powered rifle and opening fire from a business roof on paradegoers.
According to Assistant State’s Attorney Ben Dillon, a witness saw an individual with a gun on a building rooftop “scanning the ground with a gun.”
Prosecutors said police discovered three empty 30-round magazines and 83 spent shell casings on the rooftop.
According to prosecutors, Crimo told police that he wore women’s clothing and used makeup to conceal his facial tattoos and blend in with the crowd during the shooting.
Crimo was seen fleeing the scene with a black bag over his shoulder, and an object wrapped in cloth fell out of the bag and onto the pavement, according to Dillon. According to Dillon, the object was a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 semi-automatic rifle.
A second weapon, also legally purchased by Crimo, was discovered in his car when he was apprehended, according to police.
Crimo did not enter a plea during his appearance on Wednesday and was assigned a public defender.
Crimo was ordered to be held without bail. On July 28, he will appear in court for a preliminary hearing. When the gunfire started at Monday’s parade, people fled in fear, leaving empty strollers, overturned chairs, and half-eaten sandwiches behind.
“Bodies were horribly, horribly, horribly injured from, you know, guns and bullets designed for war, not parades,” said witness Dr. David Baum of some of the victims.
“The paramedics arrived quickly and assessed the damage, seeing bodies that had been blown apart and quickly placing a blanket over them. And then went on to try to help others “Baum stated to ABC News. “No one should have to witness these injuries.”
Authorities believe the massacre was planned for several weeks. According to police, there is no known motive. When asked if the gunman specifically targeted anyone, police said the “shooting appears to be completely random.”
Following her remarks at the National Education Association annual meeting in Chicago, Vice President Kamala Harris paid an unscheduled visit to Highland Park on Tuesday.
Harris expressed her community’s support and urged the country to “stand together and speak out” about why gun violence must end.
She told those affected by the tragedy that the White House stands with them and will provide all federal resources requested by the community.
She also advocated for more gun control legislation.