A British judge ruled in favor of delaying a trial for the invasion of privacy lawsuit that Meghan MarkleMeghan MarklePrince Harry on unconscious bias: ‘Ignorance is no longer an excuse’Meghan Markle: You realize ‘your voice matters’ even more ‘when you’re not able to exercise it’GOP congressman accuses Prince Harry, Megan Markle of interfering in US electionsMORE and her husband Prince Harry filed against a British tabloid in early October, according to The Associated Press.
Judge Mark Warby granted the delay, which would shift the trial date by about nine months to the fall of 2021. The exact date has not yet been set, according to The Associated Press.
My conclusion is that the right decision in all the circumstances is to grant the application, Warby said, according to Reuters. That means that the trial date of January 11, 2021 will be vacated and the trial will be refixed for a new date in the autumn.
Warby said at a private hearing that the reason for the delay will remain confidential, Reuters reported.
The couple filed a lawsuit against the Associated Newspapers, which owns the Mail on Sunday, after it allegedly published a private letter that Markle wrote. The lawsuit cited “the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.”
“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one,” Prince Harry said at the time. “Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. Ive seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
Prince Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, was the subject of aggressive news coverage throughout her life. She died in an auto accident in 1997 while her car was being followed by paparazzi.
Markle and Prince Harry announced earlier this year that they would forfeit their royal duties and titles.